Friday, June 27, 2014

The Year is Half Over...How are You Doing?

nanowrimo, day 16 goal
nanowrimo, day 16 goal (Photo credit: paloetic)

Hard as it is to think about, Monday will mark the half way point in 2014. While many people let it pass by without even thinking about it, I consider it a good time to look at what has been accomplished so far and what goals are you lagging behind in.

At the beginning of the year like every year I wrote down a set of goals. These are not New Years resolutions they are goals because the have the necessary qualities of a goal: specific, have a time limit, written down, achievable, and challenging.

I started the year with 18 major goals which all work toward my life goals. Then every month I set goals that work toward the yearly goals, weekly goals that work toward the monthly goals, and finally daily goals that work toward accomplishing those weekly goals. I will often end up with about 30 to 35 goals every week and will accomplish anywhere from at least 20 to often more than 30 of them.

Now is the time to reflect on what has worked so far this year and what isn't working and what can I do to those items to turn them around. There is some good news when it comes to my goals and that is out of the 18 goals for the year 3 of them are already done. One of those goals was to do a public presentation that was as close to perfect as I thought possible and thanks to a friend of mine who help me perfect the speech, I crossed that one of my list. Not only did the speech go well but even improvised on the spot because the group who spoke before me presented some information I was going to so I changed the opening in order to not duplicate information.

The other two goals that have been checked off was to go through everything I own and prepare for a yard sale which happened last week. As I talked about in my last posting we often have too much stuff and while I have purged a lot of stuff over the last few years there is still more to get rid of. The other goal goes hand in hand with that one and that is actually having a yard sale.

Another goal that my family says I should be able to check off already but I am not ready because I feel there is more to do is having my office organized. While it looks great now I still want to get more things done before I officially check off that item.

The goal I am proudest of is that I have almost hit my goal for weight loss. I have to admit I did do a pretty modest goal of trying to lose 60 pounds for the year, but I should achieve this by September at the rate I am going which will also put me at 80 total pounds loss since I started this self created program (currently at 67 total pounds).

While that still leaves several goals to work on, by working on them day by day I am slowly working toward achieving those goals. A goal I didn't start off with but decided to work on after reading a posting from an acquaintance I will talk about in my next posting.

That is how I am doing at the half way point, the question is how are you doing so far and wishing you luck for the rest of the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment